Blogging My Blog

What the hell is this? Does anyone else hate the colors? What should I be writing about in the Daily Brain Dump?

I started this whole thing as an act of shameless self promotion, but I'm beginning to think it should be something more. Of course, even when I say "something more," what I mean is something that looks less like shameless self promotion, thereby making it more effective at shameless self promotion.

I used to not want to talk about my non-writing life here at all, but I've done it some, and it seems to get a response. Perhaps I should push further in this direction.

But I don't think I could really be an effective blogger. I'm far too recursive as a writer. (For instance, I've revised that sentence several times now, and I'm still not sure "recursive" is the right word. How friggin' recursive is that?) Putting thoughts out there on the fly is difficult for me, as I think my posts probably show. Believe it or not, I also hate talking about myself. I thought having a my name.com might help me get over that, but not really. I'm still hiding.

Perhaps this site should embrace that hiding. Perhaps it should be more mysterious, it's navigation more cryptic, it's insights harder to trace back to me and therefore more honest.

I don't know. As always, I'm open to suggestions. I've been doing this site for more than a year now, and I don't know if it's really useful to me or you in its current form. Perhaps its time to reimagine the whole thing.

9 comments:

cheri said...

i'm down with any positive change...as long as we get more matt from mattgetty.com everyday!

Anonymous said...

I've checked out this site before. Your writing is great BUT I think it would be great also to let us readers in on your life outside of writing. Thanks for the honesty. It's given me almost the amount of incentive I need to start my own blog.
Willy R.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Cheri and Willy, more is better when it comes to blogs.

Matt said...

Thanks Cheri, Willy, and anonymous. I see what you're asking for, btu the question is, can I deliver?

Sharon Hurlbut said...

Hey Matt, I agree, give us more glimpses of yourself and your world in addition to all those book plugs! (But keep plugging too, because I enjoy reading your work).

Matt said...

Thanks Sharon. Yes, I've been dipping my toe in that pool, but now may be the time to dive in.

Patry Francis said...

Agree with Sharon.

Anonymous said...

Podcasts?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

More Things