Me vs. Me

So here's the new mix of "Blame." And here's the old mix of "Blame." Which one's better?

As I said in a previous post, I recut the vocals, fiddled with he piano a bit, got rid of the ambient synth sound in the background, added the best back-up vocals of my life, and tweaked a lot of nobs and dials on various filters about which I know little or nothing.

I did a bit of panning too. That much I do understand, and I think that opened it up a bit.

2 Free MP3 Downloads for the Price of None
So you tell me, which is better new "Blame" or old "Blame"? Download both and give me your feedback by clicking on that little "Comments" link at the bottom of this post.(Forgive the 2 seconds of dead air at the beginning of new "Blame" I promise I'll clean that up in new new "Blame.")

Want to know more about the song and the story that inspired it. Check out the original post on "Blame."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The vocal on the new one is much better, but I like the weird sound in the background of the first one. Oh yeah, and the ahhs in the new one are a bit over the top, no?

cheri said...

2nd rocks....but so does the first! :)

Matt said...

Thanks Bonnie and Cheri.

Anonymous said...

I gotta say, I like elements of both. I like how the vocals are a little louder in the first mix. I also like the synths from the first mix and would like them to see a comeback but think they could be higher in the mix. But I think the EQ/effects on the vocals in the second mix gives it a nice subtle texture. And the backing vocals are definitely keepers. The guitar in both mixes seems a little thick though - like maybe it needs a little more high end, or less mids, or something. I'm not sure. Of course that could be the Krappy Koss headphones that I'm using. Ultimately, I would like to see a duet with at least Jon Bon Jovi, and at around the 1:40 mark have dramatic drums come in with a full string orchestra and an extended jam session. Overall though it's good stuff!

Matt said...

Thanks Derek. John, unfortunately was unavailable, but we're talking to Bryan Adams people. You're right on the guitar though. I've since tried to give it more high end and it sounds more distinct in one of the last 7 mixes I've done. Don't know what to do with the synth sound thingy though. Sometimes I like it and sometimes I feel like I only want it there for something to hide behind.

Anonymous said...

If you're a fan of LOST, check out lost tv series secret

asenetpro said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

This is a posting promoting music related info on my site music online site/blog. It pretty much covers recording related stuff. my site is free for all to list their event post classified ad and to just post forum for hard to find info and many other thing music related. So if you are a dj, musician, producer, manager, engineer, artist, singer, dancer or have anything music related please visit my site and join to post all your info

Joining is free for all list your site plus more

music online

More Things