First Flash

A seven-year effort to write shorter has at last resulted in the publication of my first flash fiction story at Pindeldyboz.

It's called "In Sprite We All Can Breathe."

550 words. Can you believe that? I've heard of stories that short, even read a bunch. But I never thought it would be possible for me to stop typing that quickly.

Of course, since completing this I've seen two stories begun as flash fiction blossom into novellas. So the quest for brevity remains an ongoing challenge. Just let me celebrate this small victory--this tiny skirmish won in a war with myself I've been losing since the third grade.

So just read it; it will take 2 minutes of your life.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I liked it. Flash ain't easy. Go for 250!

Matt said...

Thanks Clifford. The thought of 250 has me hiding under my desk at the moment. But who knows? If I set my sights on 250 that should at least help me to come in under 1,000 more often.

Sharon Hurlbut said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of flash, Matt! Great story - it's got a lot of depth and poignancy without being maudlin.

Matt said...

Thanks Sharon.

Anonymous said...

great story, Matt.

Dave Clapper said...

Woohoo! Great to see it, Matt.

Matt said...

Thanks Joseph and Dave.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I enjoyed your story in Pindeldyboz. It was moving in a short amount of space. I have a few stories up there, as well as a Web site/blog. You're site is very well done and sophisticated. I haven't checked out your music but I will. Also, we live in the same area, so I thought that was cool. Send me a line at floatnotswim@gmail.com.

Matt said...

Thanks Don. For anyone just passing through, check out Don's poem, "Commercial Breakup," in Verge magazine.

More Things