Latest Rejection

I just got a nice rejection note from the Absinthe Literary Review. I say "nice," because the editors were kind enough to say that they liked the story but not so much the dialect it was written in.

The story is "What I Can't Tell Her," which I wrote a few years ago in a Southern dialect. More and more I'd been thinking I wrote it in that dialect to distance myself from it somehow and maybe I should let the voice come out at a more direct angle. The fact that they noted not liking the dialect in the rejection is going to finally motivate me to do jus that.

It's nice when a rejection does a little bit more than just stomp on your dreams and grind your heat into the dirt that lines the unpaved road to nowheresville down which all writers trudge.

1 comment:

Sharon Hurlbut said...

It's nice when a rejection does a little bit more than just stomp on your dreams

- It sure is nice. They are the rejections that keep me going. I've had a few that have said several of the editors at a mag loved a piece and it only got rejected because a couple of them didn't, which is a great reminder of how subjective the whole process is.

More Things